Monday, April 18, 2022

From ‘Undiplomatic Incidents’ by Apa Pant

 

President Nasser of Egypt …… As Indian ambassador in Cairo I was once involved in organizing a charity show of the Indian Film Mother India for the Egyptian Red Crescent movement.

Knowing how busy the president’s schedule of engagements was, I indicated, while inviting him to grace the charity show, that he need not actually stay for more than a few minutes, particularly since Indian films were, in any case, far too long

…….. When Nasser arrived at the theater, I thanked him profusely …… I reminded him that he need only stay for ten minutes ….. Nasser turned to me and asked me whether I had seen Mother India. Outraged at the suggestion that I wasted my time on Indian films, I replied, ‘Of course not, Your Excellency.’

Nasser said softly, ‘Mr Ambassador, I have already seen the film twice and I want to see the whole of it again for a third time!’

No comments: