Monday, March 30, 2009

Thoughts ... ... ...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference

- Robert Frost



Not even seven thousand years of joy can justify seven days of repression

- the Persian poet, Hafez



‘I can’t believe that!’ said Alice.
‘Can’t you?’ the Queen said in a pitying tone. ‘Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes.’
Alice laughed. ‘There’s no use trying,’ she said: ‘one can’t believe impossible things.’
‘I daresay you haven’t had much practice,’ said the Queen. ‘When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes, I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.’

- from Lewis Carroll’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’



Dalai Lama means different things to different people. To some it means I am a living Buddha, the earthly manifestation of Avalokiteshvara, Bodhisattva of Compassion. To others it means that I am a ‘god-king’. During the late 1950’s it meant that I was a Vice-President of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress of the People’s Republic of China. Then when I escaped into exile, I was called a counter-revolutionary and a parasite. But none of these are my ideas. To me ‘Dalai Lama’ is a title that signifies the office I hold. I myself am just a human being, and incidentally a Tibetan, who chooses to be a Buddhist monk.

- Dalai Lama



Pain is what you measure pleasure by

- an old Tibetan saying



For as long as space endures,
And for as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I, too, abide
To dispel the misery of the world.

- Anon

No comments: