Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Think-Thoap

  • Education is not the amount of information that is put into your brain and runs riot there, undigested all your life. We must have life-building, man-making, character-making assimilation of ideas. If you have assimilated five ideas and made them your life and character, you have more education than any man who has got by heart the whole library – Swami Vivekanda

  • Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,
    But to be young was very Heaven
    - William Wordsworth

  • There are two ways to lose oneself: by a walled segregation in the particular or by a dilution in the “universal”. Aimé Cesaire

  • In the Prison Notebooks Gramsci says: “The starting-point of critical elaboration is the consciousness of what one really is, and is ‘knowing thyself’ as a product of the historical process to date, which has deposited in you an infinity of traces, without leaving an inventory.” The only available English translation inexplicably leaves Gramsci’s comment at that, whereas Gramsci’s Italian text concludes by adding, “therefore it is imperative at the outset to compile such an inventory.” – Edward Said

  • I do not want my house to be walled on all sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any of them – Gandhi

  • A clear conscience is the softest pillow. It is better to forgo a billion dollars than a good night’s rest – N.R.Narayanamurthy

  • N.R.Narayanamurthy’s vision for Infosys Technologies Limited: A place where people of different nationalities, races and religious beliefs work together in an environment of intense competition but utmost harmony, courtesy and dignity, to add more and more value to our customers day after day. I want it to be a place that practises Voltaire’s much-celebrated statement: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend till death your right to say it.” I would like more women leaders to shape our company. Finally, I would urge Infosys to choose a worthy dream, to go after it confidently, and to play a role that will make all of us proud

  • A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke – Kipling

No comments: