Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Thoughts … … …


I saw
the mountains of the sages
where the wind mangles eagles
(A girl and an old woman, skin and bones
Carry bundles bigger than those peaks)

- Octavio Paz, ‘Himachal Pradesh’





He who has health has hope, and he who has hope has everything

- Arabic saying



A ray of imagination or of wisdom may enlighten
The universe, and glow into remotest centuries

- Bishop Berkeley



My Son, he who would employ himself without exhaustion must regard his greatest fullness of expression as emptiness

- From ‘My life in Tibet’ by Guru Ding le Mei. His guru says to le Mei



There is a principle which is proof against all information, which is proof against all arguments, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance; that principle is contempt, prior to investigation

- Herbert Spencer



Take our own bodies. I believe they are composed of myriads and myriads of infinitesimally small individuals, each in itself a unit of life, and that these units work in squads- or swarms, as I prefer to call them-and that these infinitesimally small units live forever. When we ‘die’ these swarms of units, like a swarm of bees, so to speak, betake themselves elsewhere and go on functioning in some other form or environment

- Thomas Edison



A stone I died and rose again a plant
A plant I died and rose again an animal;
I died an animal and was born a man
Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?

- Maulana Jalal-ud-din Rumi

No comments: