Wednesday, October 17, 2012

From ‘Nani A. Palkhivala. A Life’ by M V Kamath


Nani said that the religion of Zarathushtra, in its pristine purity, was a religion that transcended all ‘religions’. …. Preached the brotherhood of man or the ideal of human unity…….. Wrote Nani:

In Zarathushtra’s teachings, which are best reflected in the Gathas, there is hardly any mention of ritualism of worship. Noble conduct and high moral motives – Vohu Mano, Asha and Armaity – represent the golden thread running through the Gathas. Today, this great religion based on the highest moral and spiritual ideals has been so distorted that it has almost become indistinguishable from empty ritualism. Every religion gets encrusted over the centuries and then the crust is mistaken for the kernel.



Sometime before his passing, Nani had said that the following composition by Robert N. Test embodied his own wishes:

To Remember Me

Give my sight to the man who has never seen a sunrise, a baby’s face, or love in the eyes of a woman.

Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused nothing but endless days of pain.

Give my blood to the teenager who was pulled from the wreckage of his car, so that he might live to see his grandchildren play.

Give my kidneys to one who depends on a machine to exist from week to week.

Take my bones, every muscle, every fiber and nerve in my body and find a way to make a crippled child walk.

Explore every corner of my brain. Take my cells, if necessary and let them grow so that someday, a speechless boy will shout at the crack of a bat, and a deaf girl will hear the sound of rain against her window.

Burn what is left of me and scatter the ashes to the winds to help the flowers grow.

If you must bury something, let it be my faults, my weaknesses, and all prejudice against my fellow man.

Give my sins to the devil.

Give my soul to God.

If, by chance, you wish to remember me, do it with a kind deed or word to someone who needs you.

If you do all I have asked, I will live forever.

No comments: