Thursday, June 19, 2008

More thoughts!!

………………………………..
O, when I am safe in my sylvan home,
I tread on the pride of Greece and Rome;
And when I am stretched beneath the pines,
Where the evening star so holy shines,
I laugh at the lore and the pride of man,
At the sophist schools and the learned clan;
For what are they all, in their high conceit,
When man in the bush with God may meet

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

There’s nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness.

- Shakespeare

It is because one can be frivolous that the majority do not hang themselves

- Voltaire

………..this planet is the lunatic asylum for the whole solar system

- George Bernard Shaw

…….. Headache gives the sufferer a touch of importance. All other aches sound crude and physiological, and sensitive people would not mention them. No other ailment can be so openly mentioned with impunity. You could mention headache in the most elegant social gathering and no one would be shocked by it. The only expression which is superior to headache is ‘indisposition’. Whenever I see that word I wonder what it exactly means. It is one of those curious words (like ‘inanity’ which has no ‘anity’), which do not necessarily mean the opposite without the ‘in’. You cannot say, ‘owing to disposition I am not taking the medicine,’ whereas you can say, ‘Owing to indisposition I called in the doctor.’ What exactly is this indisposition? I have never been able to understand it, except that it sounds very well in press notes or health bulletins……….

- R. K. Narayan

I definitely feel man to man, an average American is totally materialistic in the best sense of the term, work, wages, good wife, and good life – are all his main interests; while an Indian will be bothering about the next life also, in addition to all this.

- R. K. Narayan

The old order changeth, yielding place to new, and God fulfils himself to many ways lest one good custom should corrupt the world

- Lord Tennyson

No comments: