Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Movie Review: Cheeni Kum (Less Sugar)

Movie Review: Cheeni Kum

A geriatric chef falling-in love with a 30-something belle and countering the challenge of a younger-in-age father-in-law on the way: with the backdrop of London and Delhi. That’s about what the movie is.

  • Amitabh trying too hard to be Amitabh rather than a chef.

    He’s a bit unsuccessful getting under the skin of the character and his discomfort at romancing Tabu shows: so does that mean he is acting well (given the fact that his character will be naturally in discomfort falling in love with a much younger mate). I don’t think so. I think its his real-life aloof persona that prevents him from being the character. But I do give him marks for trying
  • With an extremely weak and stretched script, how long really can the actors labour on
  • Too contrived and everybody (actors/actresses, director, musicians) contributes to this
  • Laboured and awkward acting from all around especially AB and Tabu.
  • There are the ample charms of Madame Tabu to contend with but I must say that some of the romantic scenes are too pathetic for words
  • Most of the jokes fall flat
  • You watch AB and Tabu treating each other tenderly almost like a father and daughter. It begins to seem almost like………I don’t want to say it……… incest…………..
  • About the only saving grace is Zohra Sehgal as ABs nagging mother

All-in-all: A must-miss film.

Credits:

Lyricist: Sameer, Manoj Tapadia
Editor: Chandan Arora
Cinematographer: CS Sreeram
Music Director: Ilaiyaraja
Writer and Director: R.Balki

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nirvana,

As you know from reading my review, I wasn't a huge fan of Cheeni Kum like it seems everyone else is. I thought it was nice enough, but was irritated by some of the things you pointed out:

"Most of the jokes fell flat"--agree there as well...especially the ones in the second half. I thought the restaurant stuff was pretty funny.

AB's performance--he could have done this better, but like you said, its hard for him to go beyond the legend his persona has created for himself.

Great blog!I've added you to my blogroll